Anyone who has looked into purchasing a Storyline license will know there are a few different options, each with their own set of restrictions, depending on the software you choose. As an elearning developer: freelancer or within an organisation, it can be confusing deciding which option to take. We have taken the guesswork out of it, researched each alternative and simplified it for you here.
Storyline 3 is the same as previous Storyline software applications 1 and 2. Each user that logs into Storyline needs to have their own account, set of credentials and therefore their own serial number. The serial number is unique to each user. Storyline 3 licences are non-transferrable and remain permanently associated to the user who originally orders the software. If a staff member leaves the organisation, the license can’t be shared or transferred to another person.
The following apply to the Storyline 3 licenses:
- Single Application Only
- Licences are not transferability
- Only standard email support
- No access to the Articulate 360 Content Library Integration
- No Multi-user Editing within Your Team.
- No Articulate Review for Stakeholder Reviews.
- Additional charge for each licence upgrade when a new version is released.
Articulate 360 is Articulate’s subscription licence. Articulate 360 includes several authoring tools, a mobile responsive authoring app, screencasting apps, a library of course assets, an online tool for review and collaboration, and training webinars by industry experts. This includes the following applications: Articulate 360, RISE, REVIEW, PEEK, REPLAY and LIve. It also gives you access to the content library. For more information on the differences between Storyline 3 and Articulate 360, see here.
Articulate 360 is sold as a single user yearly subscription. Similarly to Storyline 3, Articulate 360 subscriptions are non transferable. If your organisation has a lot of movement or changing of roles, it might be worth looking at the teams subscription.
Articulate 360 includes access to:
- Storyline 360
- STORYLINE 360 extra FEATURES
- Convert Text to Speech
- Text-To-Speech Closed Captions
- Modern Player
- Modern Text Rendering
- Course Completion Trigger
- Fine-Tune Motion Paths
- Random Number Variable
- Object Editing Enhancements
- Publish to Video
- Studio 360 – Transform PowerPoint presentations into Courses.
- Rise – Build fully responsive courses in minutes, right within your web browser.
- Content Library – An ever-expanding source of course assets, with over 3 million images/videos + characters & slide templates.
- Review – Simplify project reviews with your stakeholders with instant upload & sharing, comments, and notifications.
- Replay – Record and edit personalised screencastsn.
- Peek – Record screencasts and instantly upload to Review for sharing.
- Live – Gives you the training you need from eLearning experts.
Articulate 360 Teams
These subscriptions are great if you’re working in a team, or even solo but want the extra security of licence transferability and priority support. If a user leaves your organisation or you have members changing roles, it’s no problem to transfer the license. In each year period, you can transfer seats up to two times the number of seats in your account. For example, if your team has 5 seats, you can make 10 transfers per year.
Whoever makes the purchase of the account is the owner and admin for the team. However, it is not set in stone. If you need to, you can remove yourself and assign others to be the admin of the team. The team subscription is a small fee above the Articulate 360 subscription.
Educational Academic Pricing
Also, unbeknownst to many, Articulate offers an academic pricing at a 50% discount! Not for profit companies also qualify for the discount if they meet the following criteria:
They must be listed on the government register on the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission website.
Hopefully this article cleared up some of your confusion about the licensing for the many Articulate products. If you have further questions, contact us.